Saturday, October 1, 2011

Not Ideal Conditions

Somehow I got sucked into babysitting/housesitting for the past 24 hours. It didn't sound like such a bad deal when the mom said that I could stay out as late as I wanted and "even bring my boyfriend." Yeah, right.

After I stayed out as late as I wanted last night, ahem 11:00pm, I came home to find the girls (age 12) already asleep. I readied myself for bed, got all tucked in and it was then that I noticed a strange beeping sound. This short beep would occur once a minute. I was tired, it was dark, and I didn't have my glasses on so I wasn't about to go stumbling around trying to figure out the source of this noise, but I figured it was either a) a dying smoke detector or 2) a carbon monoxide detector and we'd all be dead by morning. At any rate, I closed my eyes.

Did I mention it beeped once a minute? Yeah. All. Night. Long. Now I've already had the Phoebe experience in my own home when the damn thing has awoken me and you stumble around to find it only to have it take you on in a war of who beeps last. So I simply let this one beep itself to death. Except it never died. It's still beeping once a minute right now, 24 hours later.

So that was one aspect of the conditions of this home. Another was the smell of rotting food in the house. Something had clearly died in the fridge so I steered clear of there, but I also narrowed the source to the pile of black bananas that were so rotten they had oozed out of their peels. I decided a PB & J sandwich would be safe for breakfast.

I held my breath to snatch the jelly out of the fridge, made my sandwich and was about finished when I noticed mid-chew that I had been eating half-moldy bread. Gulp. In the trash, off to play soccer mom.

We didn't win the game but the girls played hard and got sweaty. We had no time to run home between sports so they had to change into volleyball uniforms in the back of the car. One of them said, "I'm sorry, my feet might really stink." Understatement.

With the windows rolled down we cruised down US-69 and I deposited them at their next event. I was off to a baby shower. All the the rest of the afternoon I'm thinking, "how does it still stink so damn bad in here?" Car is parked in the sun, nasty. It isn't until I get home that I realize her funk-nasty soccer cleats were riding around with me all day under the seat. Febreze!

So, after a hefty dose of penicillin and a strong test of my patience, I'm home. A few pounds heavier and exhausted.


No comments:

Post a Comment